4.26.2011

HONOR FLIGHT

I was very fortunate to be able to participate in Honor Flight this year.  My dear friend Emily was pulling together volunteers for Kansas and I jumped at the opportunity.  Honor Flight is a program that flies WWII Veterans to Washington, DC to visit the WWII Memorial as well as other memorials and museums that pertain to the military and wars fought.  The WWII Memorial wasn't completed until April 2004 and most veterans do not have the opportunity to travel to DC to see what was built in their honor. Our group was the Central Prairie Honor Flight of Kansas.  I was guide to a 94 year old Navy veteran named Floyd. 


Floyd and I at the WWII Memorial

I did not grow up in a military family and I was not exposed to or educated on the different military branches outside of what I learned in school.  I knew what they were, but not to the extent of what I know now.  Living in the DC metro area you are exposed to the military in a way you may not be otherwise.  It is the norm to see someone in uniform and it is respected.  So when you see a large group of men and women in their late 80's and 90's walking around DC and knowing what they gave for our country, it brings a tear to your eye.  There were several occasions where someone would come up to Floyd, shake his hand, and thank him for this service.  I know that doesn't happen to him everyday.





It was a beautiful day!




This may be the last chance I get to volunteer for Honor Flight at least for a while.  Floyd and I exchanged addresses and phone numbers within the first hour of meeting.  He was a kind and gentle man who held my hand most of the day.  He told me he was really lucky to have met me and have such a great guide for the day.  I thanked him and told him I was the lucky one. This may be the last time Floyd will come to DC and I know he will never forget this trip.  He told me that he will see me again and that when I come to Kansas that my husband and I always have a place to stay.

So I end with this - Wherever you are or wherever you go if you happen to meet someone in the service retired or active duty please take a moment to thank them for their service.  They have chosen a career to defend your country and they deserve your appreciation.  It is not an easy job, it comes with a lot of sacrifice and dedication.  This post is dedicated to Floyd and my husband who is a Captain in the Marine Corps, thank you for your service.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...